So I was trying to find a Keto Beef Stew recipe that my dad would also enjoy. He grew up having stew on every Sunday and said the meat was ALWAYS tough. Let’s be honest here…no one likes tough meat. Plus it couldn’t have mushrooms because my kids and mom wouldn’t touch it. After looking through I couldn’t find one that sounded good so I decided to mix and match until I found what we liked. The prep can be a little time consuming but it is so worth it, I promise!! The meat is so tender and we always want more. This recipe is now made weekly in our house and sometimes twice a week. You will need a crockpot for this as well.
The first time I made this I just used carrots, celery, and onion because who wants that other weird stuff in their food?! After we made it we decided to branch out and use turnips, parsnips, and radishes too. So glad we did because it gives us more vegetables and my kids will actually eat them in the stew.
Are you ready for the most amazing stew recipe ever?? Ok here it is:
Best Keto Stew:
- 2 lbs. Stew Meat
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 4 Carrots, sliced
- 3 Celery Sticks, sliced
- 1 Turnip, chopped
- 1 Parsnip, chopped
- 6 Radishes, sliced
- 2 Cups Cabbage, shredded (I just take a head of cabbage and cut off a 2 inch thick slice and chop it up, seems like a lot so I am guesstimating here!)
- 2 Teaspoons Sea Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2-3 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 6 Cups Beef Stock
- Put two tablespoons of Olive Oil in a large skillet and add your stew meat. Sear the meat on all sides and then place into the crockpot.
- Chop up the onion and place it and the minced garlic into the pan and sautee until the onions look clear or caramelized. Place into the crockpot
- You can make the beef stock or buy it. I make ours from organic beef bouillon in the same pan I seared the meat and cooked the onion and garlic in. After this place it into the crockpot.
- Cut up the carrots, celery, parsnip, turnip, radishes, and cabbage. Then place into the crockpot.
- Add the salt, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook on low all day or on high for 4 hours.
My family is spoiled and I will make them homemade bread sometimes to go with it along with mashed potatoes although these aren’t keto I try not to force them to eat keto like I have to. They LOVE the mashed potatoes with the stew served over it. I am so glad I found a recipe that they will eat up and ask for again and again! I put the nutritional facts for the stew below.